8 Khichdi Recipe Collection for Babies
Read this article in
In India, Khichdi is one of the commonest dishes between all sorts of people. Not to mention, the much-sought food with all the ages. Khichdi for babies is always easy to cook, easy to digest and yet filly. A dish which can be given from a baby of 6 months till any age and that’s why it can never be out of taste. Khichdi for babies is always a comfort food during any illness or otherwise.
Khichdi is basically an Indian dish made from rice or millets and lentils. This can be combined with vegetables too. Generally, this is associated with babies first food or comfort food; considered as primary food for the babies. After 6 months, when the baby starts solid food, khichdi is considered healthy & easy for digestion. The best part of this dish is we can always change the ingredients as per the availability or preference.
When can one start Khichdi for Babies?
The time when we introduce solid food to a baby, preferably after 6 months and after introducing fruits, vegetables or basic solids, khichdi can be given. Khichdi for babies is always a mix of lentils & rice and in a soft consistency, it’s easy to chew and digest.
Even if you are sick or child’s appetite is upset, this can be given without any second thought for the lost energy and taste.
Why Khichdi for Babies?
Most of us might connect this word as boring or the food for ill people. But the facts associated with khichdi cannot be neglected, and why you can even relish it in good times. Khichdi for babies or for anyone is the perfect blend of nutrients like rice, lentils, ghee, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and the uncounted calories from the added vegetables.
Khichdi is also a staple food in Ayurveda to detoxify your system and to improve your energy, immunity, and digestion.
Khichdi Recipes for Babies & Kids
(click on recipe title and image to watch recipe video)
1. Instant Khichdi Mix – 6 Months +
Instant Khichdi mix is highly recommended as first food due to its low allergenic properties and easily digestible nature because of its special preparation procedure and the ingredients combination. Another reason considered for starting with Instant Khichdi is, it’s fortified with iron
- Rice – 100 grams
- Moong Dal – 100 grams
- Pepper – 10
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Rinse the Rice to clean it well and drain the water immediately. Strain them and not allowing soaking for a longer time, to avoid the Cereals from softening. Dry roast it on a heated non-stick pan on medium-low flame.
- Rinse the Moong dal to clean it well and drain the water immediately.
- Dry roast the Moong Dal on a heated non-stick pan on medium-low flame. Add Jeera and Pepper separately and dry roast them as well. All the roasted ingredients are allowed to cool.
- Now transfer the cooled ingredients to a mixer to grind it fine.
- The mixture is sieved and stored in an airtight container to pack the freshness and crispness of the Instant Khichdi Mixture.
- Preparation method – Take 2 tbsp of Instant Khichdi mix, now mix it in 100 ml of hot boiling water, add ghee and mix well serve once cool.
- Instant Khichdi Mix for babies is ready to serve.
2. Dalia Khichdi with Moong Dal – 8 months +
When the combo of Daliya or Broken wheat with these varieties of vegetables are introduced to our babies, we can fulfill the daily requirement of the nutrition needs of the body and brain development.
- Daliya – 2 tbsp
- Moong Dal – 1 tbsp
- Carrot – Half
- Pear – Half small
- French Beans – small quantity
- Cumin Powder – Pinch
- Pepper Powder – Pinch
- Once the ingredients are kept ready add Ghee, and all the chopped vegetables in the pressure cooker
- Now add Daliya and Moong Dal to the pressure cooker
- The spices are added Jeera and Pepper powder a pinch of both of them along with a pinch of Turmeric
- Add water – 1 cup and close the pressure cooker lid. In case you would prefer a runny Daliya Khichdi with Moongdal then you can add a little more of Water as required.
- After 3 whistles the Daliya Khichdi with Moong Dal is mixed well and served hot.
- Tasty and nutritious Daliya Khichdi with Moong Dal and lots of vegetables are ready to serve for the babies and toddlers.
3. Curd Oats Khichdi – 8 months +
The combo of ingredients is designed to deliver a sumptuous rich meal for the baby to relish and get hydrated at the same time helping in the development of bones. As Curds are a true giver of Calcium and easily absorbed by the body.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/ Hing – A pinch
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5 leaves
- Carrot – Small chopped finely
- Oats – 1 bowl
- Add Ghee to a non-stick frying pan, once heated add Mustard seeds, Curry Leaves, Hing, Jeera and mix well. Now add finely chopped small Carrot and once it’s mixed well and semi-cooked for 2 minutes add Oats and fry for a minute. Now we add Water and cook for 5- 10 minutes and we gently keep it aside for cooling.
- Once its set we add Curds to the cooled mixture and give a quick mix for uniform mixing of the ingredients and transfer to a serving bowl
- Tasty and cool Curds Oats Khichdi is ready to serve for the summer, with a cooling effect and right combination it’s the best heat buster and all-time snacks favourite
4. Barley Moong Khichdi – 8 Months
Barley is known is for its impressive health benefits with high fiber content, supplies antioxidants to the body protect against Diabetes hence its one of the best and have its own qualities in all the whole grain choices.
- Barley – 1/4 cup
- Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
- Oil/ Ghee/ Butter – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4-5 numbers
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – Pinch
- Turmeric Powder – Pinch
- Pepper – Pinch
- Salt – Optional
- Add Oil/ Ghee/ Butter in a cooker, Cumin seeds and Curry leaves, now add Barley and Moong Dal.
- Now add a pinch of Pepper, Turmeric, Asafoetida, and Salt (Optional) and add 1 cup Water.
- Give a quick stir and close the cooker and allow 3 whistles.
- After the cooker cools down to mix it and serve to the serving bowl.
- Barley Moong Khichdi is ready to serve for babies and toddlers.
5. Daliya Paneer Khichdi – 8 Months +
Great for breakfast or lunch, khichdi is a traditional Indian food given during ill health to babies, kids, and adults. Make it during a cough or cold and serve your child for that instant relief. A dollop of ghee is what makes it double nutritious.
- Daliya – 2 tbsp
- Masoor dal- 1/2 tbsp
- Paneer – 2 tbsp finely shredded
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- Finely cut coriander
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Warm water – 1 1/2 cup
- Take a pressure cooker, add ghee, followed by curry leaves for tadka.
- Add cumin seeds and rinsed daily to the same mixture.
- Add Masoor Dal or any lentil of your choice and give it a quick stir.
- Add spices according to your or baby’s choice or age. Pepper Powder, Cumin Powder are being added here now.
- Add turmeric powder and then add grated paneer. For older kids, you can add paneer cubes.
- Close the lid and pressure cook till 3 whistles or more depending on the thickness of lentil.
- Daliya Paneer Khichdi is ready to be served.
6. Sabudana Veg Khichdi – 8 Months
Texture-rich Sabudana Veg Khichdi is very good for a baby’s tongue and speech development as well, it initiates movements in the baby’s mouth and triggers few sensorial developments. A must give dish and ingredient for the baby’s development.
- Soaked Sabudana – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – A pinch
- Garlic – 2 pods chopped
- Carrot – 1 tbsp Chopped
- Potato – 1 tbsp Chopped
- Peas – 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hot Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Add Ghee, once it melts add all the vegetable Carrot, Peas, Potato all in little quantities as required. Now add 2 chopped Garlic pods and Pepper powder. Mix well.
- Now add Soaked Sabudana and Hot water. Close the cooker and allow for 2-3 whistles to cook well.
- Once cooled mix well and its ready to serve.
- Sabudana Veg Khichdi is ready to serve.
7. Foxtail Millet Khichdi – 8 Months+
Foxtail Millet or Navane or Tenai Khichdi for babies or toddlers is a simple, easy to make with very few easily available ingredients at home and I’m sure this calls for a quick recipe by eager YOU.
- Ghee/Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Cumin – 2 tsp (coarsely ground)
- Pepper – 1 tsp (coarsely powdered)
- Green Chillies – 4 slit
- Foxtail Millet – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – ½ cup
- Boiled Water – 6 cups
- Lemon – 1 tsp(optional)
- Coconut – 2 tbsp grated(optional)
- Garlic – 10 pods(optional)
- Add ghee/oil in a pan and add the following temper ingredients in order.
- Add washed Foxtail Millet and Moong Dal then pour the boiled water into the same pan.
- Add salt as needed and lemon/coconut/garlic if required and Cook it for 20 mins or 3 whistles.
- If Foxtail Millet and Moong dal were soaked 5-8 mins should be sufficient.
- This simple and quick dish I’m sure will be well accepted by your loved ones.
Tips: If Foxtail Millet and Moong dal were soaked 5-8 mins should be sufficient.
8. Spinach and Masoor Khichdi – 8 Months+
This khichdi has all the goodness of greens from spinach, loaded with proteins from masoor & high source of instant energy from rice. Ghee & spices add to the taste, color & texture.
- Spinach – 10 leaves chopped
- Masoor Dal – 2 tbsp
- Rice – 1/4 cup
- Cumin / Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 4-5 nos.
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – for 1 Year + only
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee, cumin seeds, garlic chopped / paste, chopped spinach
- Give it a nice stir
- Add all other ingredients and fry for 1 minute
- Now add water, close the lid
- Wait till 3-4 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the cooker cool
- Spinach & Masoor Khichdi is now ready to serve
Khichdi Recipes for Babies & Kids
Recipe Type: Indian