HOMEMADE SPROUTED RAGI POWDER for Babies, Toddlers, Kids & Family
Read this article in
Benefits of Ragi for Babies
- Contains highest amount of Calcium
- High in Fiber and hence easily Digestible
- Good source of Iron and best for anemic babies or kids
- Sprouting process makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients
- A great Immunity Booster
- Beneficial for Lactating Mothers
When can I give Ragi to my Baby?
WHO recommends to start solids only after completion of 6 months. Have a word with the baby’s doctor before starting solids yet. You can initially start with Fruits and Vegetable Purees and then slowly move to Rice Cereal and this Sprouted Ragi Powder. You can have a look at our detailed 6 months Baby Food Chart
We have also added a step by step Video Recipe which would be helpful to easily prepare this Sprouted Ragi / Finger Millet Powder at home.
Ragi porridge can be given to 6 months + babies.
How to make HOMEMADE SPROUTED RAGI POWDER for Babies, Toddlers, Kids & Family
Homemade sprouted ragi powder for babies, toddlers, kids & family
Recipe Type: Baby food
- Ragi / Finger Millet / Nachni - 2 cups
- Take 2 cups of Ragi / Finger Millet / Nachni
- Rinse in water and wash atleast two times.
- Soak it for 8 hours.
- After soaking Strain it and transfer to a clean cotton cloth.
- Tie it tightly forming a potli.
- Keep it in warm place which helps sprouting quicker.
- After 8 hours you can see these nice ragi sprouts.
- Transfer it to a plate and allow it to sun dry for about 24 - 48 hours depending on the sunlight.
- After 2 days they must be well dried and ready to make a powder.
- Transfer the Sprouted and Sun-dried Ragi to a pan and fry it in medium flame.
- After they change the color switch off the flame, transfer to a plate and allow it to cool.
- Once it is cooled transfer it to a Grinder and make a Fine Powder. If you are making bigger batches you can even give it a trusted Powder Mill nearby.
- Ensure you sieve the powder once grinded.
How to Cook Sprouted Ragi Porridge for Babies?
- Take a pan and without putting it on flame add 1 cup of Water or Milk.
- Add 2 tsp of Homemade Sprouted Ragi Powder
- Ensure to mix it lump free
- After mixing it well put it on medium flame and stir well and cook for about 5 mins.
- While cooking you can observe the porridge changing color.
- This consistency should be good to put off the flame. Once cooled it will thicken.