Corona Virus – How to stay safe with Kids
Read this article in
Corona Virus – How to stay safe with Kids| Corona preventive measures | Is wearing a mask necessary | Stay at home | How to stay safe during Corona Virus period | Novel Corona Virus | Corona Virus spread | Symptoms of Corona Virus disease | How does coronavirus spread | Do I need to buy sanitizers
Corona Virus – How to stay safe with Kids
With total lockdown in India, we are able to partially regulate the Corona Virus spread but only if we all continue to contribute to slow down and stay at home we can succeed in getting rid of it. In this article, I shall talk briefly about the Virus and give you an insight into how we can safeguard ourselves and kids during this widespread.
What is Covid-19 or Corona Virus?
Novel Corona Virus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 – What are these? Corona Virus is a term referred to a group of viruses that cause respiratory issues and is not new. This is a new type of Corona Virus and hence called Novel Corona Virus. COVID-19 is the disease caused by this Novel Corona Virus.
It is believed that in Wuhan wet market it is spread from animal to human and then mutated and spread from humans to humans.
Symptoms of COVID-19 disease
- Mild to High Fever
- Dry Cough
- Breathing Difficulty
- Sore throat, Nasal Congestion, Diarrhea, Runny Nose, Pain or aches
How does COVID-19 spread?
COVID-19 spreads by droplets produced as a result of coughing or sneezing of an infected person.
- Direct Contact – One can get the infection if you are in close contact, within one meter, with the infected person when they don’t cover their mouth while coughing or sneezing.
- Indirect Contact – The study shows that the virus can survive on the surface for more than 3 days. So, by touching the virus contaminated objects and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes can transmit the disease.
How to Prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- Practice Social Distancing
- Do not cough into your hands but elbow or a cotton cloth
- Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds or sanitizers after eating, bathroom visits, etc
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes
- Overall practice good hygiene
- Avoid junk and alcohol. Eat healthy food and build your immunity
Why is Quarantine or Lockdown necessary?
The incubation period or the period in which symptoms are visible, of COVID 19 is 1 to 14 days. So an absolutely fine looking infected person can also spread the disease. Now research says at an average of 11 days ranging between 2 to 5 days sometimes infected person shows symptoms and later be confirmed or put to further tests and taken care of. As the outbreak is fast-moving in the world and some rare cases symptoms showed up post 14 days, it is now recommended that an extension of the quarantine period from 14 to 21 days could be more effective. This also helps flatten the curve, which means the growth of infected persons can be reduced and Community transmission can be controlled.
Is wearing a mask necessary?
- Mask is to avoid the spread of droplets from an infected person.
- People having symptoms of cough or fever should use it.
- Healthcare workers to safeguard themselves should use it.
- Caretaker of Quarantined person should use it
So please do not hoard them and allow access to people in need.
Do I need to buy sanitizers?
Soaps do the same job as sanitizers. It is actually advised to use when you do not have access to soap and water. So please do not hoard the same or completely depend on it and instead use soap and water and wash your hands well for 20 seconds, cleaning in between the fingers, front and back of your hand well.
Things to keep in mind
When you go out to buy Essentials
- Go to a small store and avoid supermarkets
- Keep a distance of 1 meter from any person
- Avoid touching unnecessary surfaces
- Avoid cash and pay online using UPI or other methods
- Wash your hands immediately once you come home
- Altogether avoid going out and do not use it as a way to step out. Many services are now working 24/7 to home deliver necessary goods and hence use them.
Safety for Babies & Kids
- Vaccination can be rescheduled, have a word with your doctor.
- For a mobile baby & older kids at home to stay safe it’s important to clean surfaces daily with disinfectants. Floor, Door Knob, Tables, etc.
- Babies or Kids do not need to wear a mask when indoors.
- If a breastfeeding mother is infected or is showing any symptoms, it’s good to consult a doctor
- Offer healthy immune-boosting foods.
- You can explain the situation to older kids in detail without scaring them.
Facts say that kids are the least affected and it’s good news that they have the immunity to fight it.
I understand how difficult this situation is and I’m trying my best to keep myself and family positive. This is what we have to do. Stay positive, work towards the required and things will surely fall in place. No one had ever dreamt of such pandemic but we are sailing through one. Let’s sail through and reach safe.
Thank you for reading this article. For regular updates please join our Instagram, Facebook Page, Pinterest and our YouTube Channel. You can also join our Facebook Group or WhatsApp Group for regular discussions. Please don’t forget to leave a comment below