10 Things Kids must know about Republic Day
Patriotism is neither a seasonal thing nor age-dependent. For our kids to grow up as responsible citizens we need to imbibe the knowledge of the hardships gone in to get this country Independent. The freedom movement and struggle need to be known too. Never assume that your kid is too young to know this. Making India a Republic County has taken lots of effort by our Freedom Fighters and Leaders let us share with them more about Republic Day.
1. What does the word Republic mean?
RePublic – A country whose matters are public. i.e. in a Republic country, the government is formed by the people, and all the matters are taken care of by considering the people. It is as good as an opposite to a monarch’s rule. A Republic country is not ruled by a king.
2. What does Republic Day of India denote?
It is that day when India became Republic, the constitution was formed and India was announced to be a Republic Country.
3. The Date
- The 26th day of January 1950 is called Republic Day and this day every year is celebrated across India.
- On the same day in 1930, a pledge was taken to replace the Government of India Act with the governing document of India which was constituted by the Indian National Congress.
- Purna Swaraj was however declared in 1950 and hence 26th January is declared a national holiday
4. What is Constitution?
A set of rules and regulations followed by all the citizens of India is the Constitution. It is a democratic country where the laws are equal to all.
5. Who wrote the Constitution?
- It was written by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar.
- The longest in the world, the Indian Constitution comprises 448 articles divided into 22 parts, 12 schedules, and 97 amendments.
- There are two handwritten and Calligraphed copies in Hindi and English which are preserved inside the library of the parliament.
- They are kept in Helium filled cases
In the Republic of India, there are no monarchs/kings. People have the right to vote and choose their leaders
6. Display of Culture
- The world-famous National Parade on Republic day is held at Rajpath, Delhi
- It showcases the Strength of India – The Army, The Air force, and The Navy
- Unity in Diversity is shown to the world through cultural activities and tabloids from all the states.
7. Difference Between Republic Day and Independence Day
- Republic day on 26th January every year is celebrated to mark the start of a democratic country.
- Independence day on 15th August every year is celebrated to mark the freedom from East India’s rule on India.
- The Parade at Rajpath, Delhi by our Armed Forces – The Army, The Air Force, and The Navy
- Guest of Honor invited from other countries
- Salute by the President of India organized by Govt. of India
9. Awards given on Republic Day
On this day, awards are distributed to the martyrs and brave citizens of the country.
- National Bravery Awards for Children,
- Bharat Ratna is given to a citizen for exceptional service or performance in the highest order
- Padma Vibhushan is given to a citizen for exceptional service or performance in the second-highest order
- Padma Bhushan is given to a citizen for distinguished service of the third-highest order
- Padma Shri is given to a citizen for distinguished service of fourth highest order
Martyrs’ families are awarded the Ashok Chakra and Kirti Chakra for their tribute to the nation during war or calamity.
10. Tips to Celebrate Republic Day with your kids
- Wake them up early and watch the live telecast of the Republic Day parade
- If the school has declared a holiday, take them to a nearby place where flag hoisting is happening
- Get together with kids and share stories of the freedom struggle
- Dress them up as the freedom fighters
- Salute the Martyrs to create a sensitive patriotism at an early age
We are Indians, Firstly and Lastly – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
Video: 10 Things Kids must know about Republic Day
- Video in Kannada – ಗಣರಾಜ್ಯೋತ್ಸವ ದಿನ – 10 ವಿಷಯ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಮಕ್ಕಳಿಗಾಗಿ
Image Sources :
Thank you for reading this article. For regular updates please join us on Instagram, Facebook Page, Pinterest, and our YouTube Channel. You can also join our Kannada Moms Group, Kannada Youtube Channel, Kannada Instagram. Feel free to post your queries, we would be happy to help.