8 MONTHS INDIAN BABY FOOD CHART with Recipe Videos
Read this article in
By 8 months, most of babies may be crawling and would also be pushing hard to stand up. Also probably beginning to master the pincer grasp picking up small food pieces or objects and feeding themselves.
You can now introduce finger foods to encourage the self-feeding to your baby’s diet. You may also introduce some aromatic & small amount of hot spices to develop the taste buds of the little tongue.
Do not force the baby and let him / her develop eating habits at their own pace. Just encourage them by introducing different foods.
What is Finger Food?
Finger foods are foods that can be eaten by using fingers instead of spoons, forks, knife etc. It is very important to introduce finger foods by 8 months, as most of the babies develop their motar skills by then.
Quantity of Food to be given to 8 months old
The quantity depends on the liking and baby’s hunger of the baby. Approximate amount is 1/2 cup. Do not force feed the baby. You can offer 2 meal & a snack for 8 months baby, along with the breast feed and / or formula milk. You may decide the timings for meal & snack as per your convenience.
Things you should keep in mind
- Thick consistency food
- Introduce different taste, flavor & texture food
- Always given freshly prepared food
- Do not forcefully feed your child
- Gradually increase the portion
- Always feed baby when he/she is sitting. Do not feed when the baby is lying on back
- Sterilise the bowls, spoons, vessels used to feed the baby in hot water
- No salt, sugar or honey for baby untill 1 year
- Always feed breast milk / formula milk on demand of the baby
- Steaming is healthier than pressure cooking.
What foods can be given to 8 months old?
- Breast Milk – Continue breast milk or formula milk
- Fruits – Apple, Banana, Mango, Sapota / Chiku, Pears, Plums, Pumpkin, dates, figs, grapes
- Vegetables – Boiled & mashed vegetables like potato, carrots, sweet potato, green peas, cauliflour, beans, leafy vegetable
- Cereals & Pulses – Cereals and pulses such as rice, barley, ragi, sooji / semolina, broken wheat/ daliya, chick peas, green gram/ moong, urad dal and oats
- Combinations – Experiment different combinations or mixtures of food. Like fruit & cereal, Vegetables & pulses or lentils etc
- Dairy – Curd / yogurt, paneer/ cottage cheese, tofu
- Spices: Turmeric, garlic, ginger, asafoetida, cumin seeds, pepper, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, caroms, fenugreek, mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (all can be added in little amount say a pinch)
8 MONTHS BABY – INDIAN FOOD CHART SAMPLE
Below is the sample Weekly Baby Food Chart With recipes (please refer hyperlinks to get the recipes) for 8 Months you can refer.
8 MONTHS BABY MEAL PLAN – WEEK 1
|Monday||Oats Porridge||Foxtail Millet Veg Fried Rice||Pumpkin Puree|
|Tuesday||Instant Moong Rice Khichdi||Oats Pancake Spicy||Vegetable Dal Soup|
|Wednesday||Sathu Mavu Aloo Cutlets||Dates & Raisins Poha Kheer||Carrot Coins Finger Foods|
|Thursday||Kerala Banana Powder Porridge||Spinach Oats Dosa & Pancake||Instant Poha Fruit Porridge|
|Friday||Stewed Apple||Daliya Khichdi With Moongdal||Potato Soup
|Saturday||Sprouted Health Mix - Sathu Mavu||Ragi Rotti||Carrot Tomato Soup|
|Sunday||Sweet Potato Puree||Instant Makhana Porridge||Vegetable Dal Soup|
8 MONTHS BABY MEAL PLAN – WEEK 2
|Monday||Wheat Daliya||Sugarless Sabudana Kheer||Spinach Soup
|Tuesday||Sprouted Ragi Milk||Oats Mooli Paratha||Apple Rice Baby Food|
|Wednesday||Bajra Rice Khichadi||Instant Ragi Dosa - Sweet||Pumpkin Soup
|Thursday||Oats Porridge||Little Millet Seviya Upma||Vegetable Mash|
|Friday||Sathu Mavu - Multigrain Porridge||Makhana Sooji Kheer||Rice & Dal Kanji
|Saturday||Ragi Oatmeal Porridge||Foxtail Millet Dosa||Carrot & Dal Mash
|Sunday||Pumpkin Kheer||Barley Moong Khichdi||Cauliflower & Corn Thin Soup|
8 MONTHS BABY MEAL PLAN – WEEK 3
|Monday||Mashed Banana||Sprouted Health Mix - Sathu Mavu||Potato Soup|
|Tuesday||Rice Cereal||Oats Porridge||Carrot Tomato Soup|
|Wednesday||Sprouted Health Mix - Sathu Mavu||Makhana Sooji Kheer||Carrot Soup
|Thursday||Kerala Banana Powder Porridge||Rice Flour Upma||Pear Puree|
|Friday||Barley Moong Khichdi||Mashed Potato||Beetroot Soup
|Saturday||Sathu Mavu - Multigrain Porridge||Mashed Banana||Apple Puree|
|Sunday||Sprouted Ragi Porridge||Carrot Coins Finger Foods||Rice Ganji/Kanji|
8 MONTHS BABY MEAL PLAN – WEEK 4
|Monday||Barley Apple Porridge||Spinach Paneer Rice||Pumpkin Puree|
|Tuesday||Ragi Kheer / Halwa||Rice Cereal||Spinach Puree / Soup|
|Wednesday||Kerala Banana Powder Porridge||Apple & Little Millet Rice / Kheer||Baked Veggies|
|Thursday||Sooji Halwa/ Kheer||Egg Recipes For Babies||Papaya Puree|
|Friday||Sprouted Health Mix - Sathu Mavu||Ragi Apple Pancake||Beetroot Puree / Soup|
|Saturday||Instant Poha Fruit Porridge||Aloo Paratha||Kerala Banana Halwa|
|Sunday||Barley Porridge||Sabudana Veg Khichdi||Vegetable Soup|
- These are ideas of Foods which can be given to 8 months baby.
- We have kept their nutrients requirement per day in mind while designing the Food Chart.
- You may include 6 Months Baby Food Chart & 7 Months Baby Food Chart recipes also.
- You can introduce or repeat any food as per your choice and baby’s liking.
- 3 days rule doesn’t hold good anymore and hence new food everyday is followed in the meal plan for 6 months baby as well.
- Its good to introduce varieties of Flavors and Foods to baby before an year to avoid any allergic issues in future.
- Most importantly babies need different taste and texture daily, just like us so do not bore them with repetitions and make them hate food.
You can also buy Organic Certified
Homemade Fresh Baby Food from our Store
Preservatives, Additives, Sugar or Milk Solids Free Baby Foods
Few Products which can be helpful to make Baby Foods.
(Click on images to buy them)